Standard Payroll Format
The following is a template for uploading standard payroll contributions.
- Excel (.xls) is the standard file format. If using a payroll software program to extract data, the payroll format indicated below may be submitted in a comma delimited text (.txt) file.
- The standard naming convention of each file is your six-digit Alerus account number followed by the actual payroll date in YYMMDD format (e.g., 123456220811.xls).
- Use the text under the “Description” column as the column headings in the file. Fields that will not contain data should remain blank.
- Enter each employee’s information in one row.
- When submitting compensation and hours, submit data for all employees – participating and non‐participating.
- Fields identified as Type “A” are alphabetic and must be left justified and in all caps. Fields identified as Type “N” are numeric, must be right justified, and cannot contain commas or $.
- For assistance in determining which contribution source columns to use (columns Q – X), please call your account administrator at 800.433.1685.
|A||Y||Social Security Number||9||N||9(9)||Valid employee Social Security Number (no dashes). Example: 123456789|
|B||Employee's last name, comma, space, first name, space, middle initial. Example: DOE, JANE R|
|Y||Last Name, First Name MI||30||A||X(30)||Employee’s last name, comma, space, first name, space, middle initial. Example: DOE, JANE R
If submitting name extensions such as JR or II, employee’s last, space, extension, comma, space, first name, space, middle initial. Example: DOE JR, JOHN R
|C||Y||Street Address 1||40||A||X(40)||Employee's first address line.|
|D||Y||Street Address 2||40||A||X(40)||Employee's second address line.|
|E||Y||City||28||A||X(28)||Employee's city of residence.|
|F||Y||State||3||A||X(3)||Employee’s 2‐digit abbreviated state code or 3‐digit province abbreviation. Follow postal codes.|
|G||Y||Zip + 4||9||A||X(9)||Employee's 5- or 9-digit zip code (no dash).|
|H||N||Division/ Location||4||A||X(4)||Employee's division or location, if applicable, or leave blank.|
|I||Y||Date of Birth||8||N||YYYYMMDD||Employee's date of birth (no dashes or slashes).|
|J||Y||Original Date of Hire||8||N||YYYYMMDD||Employee's original date of hire (no dashes or slashes).|
|K||N||Date of Eligibility||8||N||YYYYMMDD||Employee's date of eligibility as defined by Plan Document|
|L||Y||Date of Rehire||8||N||YYYYMMDD||Employee's date of rehire (no dashes or slashes).|
|M||Y||Date of Term||8||N||YYYYMMDD||Employee's date of termination (no dashes or slashes).|
|N||Y||Year-To-Date Hours||8||N||9(8)||Cumulative hours worked include holiday, vacation, sick, overtime, and double‐time. Example: 1020.50
|O||N||Year-To-Date Gross Compensation||15||N||9(15)||Cumulative gross W‐2 earnings before employee deferral. Gross W‐2 earnings include regular pay, vacation pay, sick pay, holiday pay, bonuses, commissions, and overtime. Do not include severance pay paid after an employee’s termination date. Example: 1234.56|
|P||N||Year-To-Date Excluded Compensation||15||N||9(15)||Cumulative excluded compensation as outlined in your plan document (e.g., bonuses, commissions, etc.).Example: 500.00|
|Q||N||Employee Deferral||10||N||9(10)||Current period employee pre-tax deferral amount. Example: 100.00 – if applicable|
|R||N||Employee Roth Deferral||10||N||9(10)||Current period employee Roth after-tax deferral amount. Example: 100.00 – if applicable|
|S||N||Employer Match||10||N||9(10)||Current period employer match amount. Example: 100.00 – if applicable|
|T||N||Employer Discretionary||10||N||9(10)||Current period employer discretionary amount. Example: 100.00 – if applicable|
|U||N||Employee After Tax Deferrals||10||N||9(10)||Current period employee after-tax (not Roth) deferral amount. Example: 100.00 – if applicable|
|V||N||Safe Harbor Profit Sharing||10||N||9(10)||Current period safe harbor profit sharing amount. Example: 100.00 – if applicable|
|W||N||Safe Harbor Match||10||N||9(10)||Current period safe harbor match amount. Example: 100.00 – if applicable|
|X||N||Pension||10||N||9(10)||Current period pension amount. Example: 100.00 – if applicable|
|Y||N||Loan Payments||10||N||9(10)||Current period loan payment amount. Example: 25.00
If your plan allows multiple loans, submit loan payments under a separate file using the Multiple Loan Payment Format on the next page. Leave this field blank if using the multiple loan payment format.
|Z||Y||Payroll Frequency||1||N||9(1)||Enter the employee's payroll frequency. 7=Weekly, 6=Bi-Weekly, 5=Semi-Monthly, 4=Monthly|