What happens if my contributions exceed the annual limit?

You may be allowed a corrective distribution for excess contributions. The IRS will impose an excise tax (see IRS Form 5329) on contributions made in excess to the annual limit. You will also be required to pay tax on any interest or earnings on excess contributions.